Hybrid Contact Lenses
Hybrid contact lenses are great for most patients with corneal astigmatism. There are many types of Hybrids available, including Multifocals. The special characteristics of a hybrid contact lens are that they have the rigid gas permeable lens (GP) to correct the astigmatism, but it is surrounded by a skirt of a soft lens. This provides the clear vision of a GP lens, along with the comfort of a soft contact lens!
You may ask, “Am I a good candidate for a hybrid lens?” The patients with the best success with hybrid lenses are:
- Patients with regular corneal astigmatism.
- Patients complaining of contact lens movement with soft toric contact lenses.
- Patients who want the quality of vision from a GP lens, but worried about the feel.
- Patients with presbyopia and astigmatism.
- Multifocal patients who currently wear soft contact lenses who want better vision.
- Patients with an irregular cornea who are interested in other lens options.